Sunday, June 22, 2008

Talking About Goals

My wife and I love to sit on our front porch. We are out most evenings and some mornings. We never know what we will talk about, if anything at all, but tonight was especially good and I thought would be worth sharing.

We have been married for 11 months and 1 day. We have goals, a lot of goals, and one of our big ones is to live at the beach. Last year, shortly after our wedding day, we began plotting our financial destinations. One of these is to move out of our apartment in 2011 with enough cash for a 20% down payment on a house with money left over to furnish it. I almost forgot about this goal. I have been so caught up with living life day to day that our long term goal to buy a house (at the beach, if feasible) has not been on my mind.

I brought this topic up tonight on purpose. in-between sips of coffee I asked her if she still wanted to live at the beach. After giving me her answer she asked me why I was asking. "I almost forgot about it. I forgot it was our dream and I don't want to forget about that."

I don't want to get so caught up with life that I forget about our dreams, whatever they are. Goals are important. I heard it once said that a man without goals is like a boat without a rudder. That is so true. Tonight I remembered my rudder.

Don't forget about your rudder.

-Aaron Aiken

Sent from my Crackberry

No comments: